Alright people. It’s October 21. That means we only have ten days left to celebrate one of the greatest feast days of the year: All Hallow’s Eve.
Halloween has always been a big deal in my family. What’s not to love? The pumpkins, the magic, the spooks, the costumes… I think everyone becomes more of a believer in the things that can’t be explained around this time of year.
That being said, I intend to savor every second I have left of these ten days. So, without further ado, I present
Jacqueline E. Smith’s Halloween Essentials
- A trip to the pumpkin patch.
- A haunting soundtrack full of classic Halloween hits.
- A Halloween movie marathon. This marathon MUST include at least three separate viewings of Hocus Pocus.
- Candy Corns and Mellowcreme Pumpkins.
- Scented candles.
- Finding your ideal costume. If you can’t find it, make it! One year in college when I was particularly broke, I went as The One-Eyed-One-Horned-Flying-Purple-People-Eater and I made my own wings and horn. I looked a little deranged, but the wings looked AMAZING.
- Decorations galore.
- A unique design for your Jack-O-Lantern. Now, I’ve been carving my own Jack-O-Lanterns for years, but scraping out all the insides and carving can be a bit tiresome, so it might not be for everyone. Especially if you don’t like pulp under your nails.
- A black light bulb. When I was little, my mom would ALWAYS light a black light on All Hallow’s Eve. It’s simply not the Witching Hour without one.
- A black cat. Naturally. Where would I be without my beautiful Witch’s Familiar?
- A good ghost story. Of course! And you can get Cemetery Tours on Kindle for only $2.99 for the remainder of October.
What are your Halloween Essentials?