Hello, everyone. It’s the start of a new week. It’s also very cold. I’m sure it’s also very cold where you live, unless you’re a lucky duck Australian, in which case, I envy you a great deal.
I feel like I have a lot to talk about, but nothing so pressing that I’d dedicate an entire post to it, so I figured I’d give you a few tidbits of what’s been floating around in my mind all weekend.
1) I saw Catching Fire for the fourth time this weekend. I’m relatively open about my outstanding nerdiness, but in case you’re new to the blog, I’ll say it again. I am a huge geek, and one of my favorite things to geek out over is The Hunger Games.
I could go on and on about everything that I love about the books, and the movies, for that matter (Jennifer Lawrence!), but I won’t because I would literally be typing until my fingers fell off. So, I’ll try to stick to the point I originally set out to make.
*WARNING: Possible Spoilers Ahead*
As with any franchise I find myself fawning over, I desperately want to know more about the other characters and what was going on behind the scenes of Katniss’ point of view. One of the reasons I love the movies so much is that they give us a glimpse at the other characters and what they’re doing while Katniss is in the arena. The books are told entirely from her perspective, so we only get what we’re told her shown through her experience, but in the movies, we get to see a little more, like the game makers who control what happens in the Arena during the games. I LOVED seeing how they did that! I also really love any scene with President Snow. Seriously, he gets the best lines in the entire franchise!
“Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.”
“Because of her, they all pose a threat. Because of her, they all think they’re invincible.”
And that moment at the end of the first one where he just turns and walks away all dark and creepy? Or how about in the second one when he realizes that Plutarch has deceived him? I LOVE THOSE MOMENTS.
Speaking of Plutarch, he’s who I’d really want a separate book about. Well, him, Haymitch, and the tributes like Johanna and Finnick who were in on the plot to break Katniss out of the Arena during the Second Quarter Quell. How long had they been communicating? How did they get the others in on it? I am DYING to know. I’m also dying to know more about Finnick and Annie and their love story. All we got from Finnick in Mockingjay was, “She crept up on me.”
Seriously? That’s it? NO! That is NOT COOL, Suzanne Collins!
2) Today, one of my coworkers at my job that’s not writing came into where I was filing and handed me an envelope. Then she said something like, “It’s your 10.60” (I don’t remember the actual number). For some reason, I really thought it was money, so I got really excited. But then I opened it and realized it was just a bunch of tax crap. I have finally and begrudgingly come to accept that people will not just walk up to me and give me money. That is not the way life works.
3) I also went to the post office today to renew my P.O. Box, so that was fun. And $30. But hey, it made me feel like a real responsible adult, which you know, really isn’t that great a feeling, but everyone seems to think it’s something to which we should all aspire, so whatever.
4) Cemetery Tours received another amazing review from Paul Ruddock at http://echoesofthepen.com. Thank you so much, Paul! Your review almost brought tears to my eyes!
5) Last night, as I was writing, I was watching The Walking Dead (again), and I’m beginning to think that maybe I really just can’t handle that show. I always feel like I end up writing about the horrific experiences I’ve had while trying to enjoy a show while simultaneously ignoring my natural instincts to avoid all things zombie. I’ve finally reached the point where I’m almost totally immune to blood and guts (though there’s still one scene in the second one that just… ugh…). I’m still NOT okay with puke, but that’s something I’ve lived with my entire life and will probably never overcome. Last night, however, I discovered that there is one thing in the zombie universe (or probably any sort of disgusting universe) that I absolutely can not handle.
Oh my gosh. I don’t know how I never noticed them before, but there is one scene with a corpse in a tent and its nasty forehead is crawling with MAGGOTS. One even falls off his forehead and onto his ear where it wriggles around until it finds its way back to the flesh.
Now, I’ve always been pretty girly, but I usually can watch just about anything (except puke) and not get grossed out. Those maggots grossed me out so much that I thought I was going to gag. I even had a minor meltdown on Twitter because it was 2 AM and I had no one else to talk to.
So yeah, you get the picture. It was horrible. Thankfully, my brain spared me further trauma in my dreams.
Well, that’s not entirely accurate. I actually dreamt that my friend became a plastic surgeon and decided that I needed plastic surgery to make my hands more feminine (they’re kind of manly) and so she cut up my hands and wrists, but I kept telling her I didn’t have health insurance, so instead of stitching me up, she just put band-aids on my wounds! I was so scared that my hand was going to fall off, but she assured me that probably wouldn’t happen.
But at least I didn’t dream about maggots.
Have a good week, y’all!