A friend of mine posted this article a few days ago:
As I scrolled through the questions, I began to realize not only do I now know a lot of my friends’ answers to the questions… I don’t even know my own answers. Of course, I try to avoid getting too personal and deep… ever. It’s a bit of a defense mechanism. If I don’t take anything seriously, then I don’t have to confront my own shortcomings or flaws or let downs. But I rather like the idea of this challenge, so I think I’ll give it a go. If for no one else, then for me.
1. What’s one thing that’s happened to you that has made you a stronger person?
Honestly, writing my books, learning about the publishing industry, and making the choice to go forward and follow my dreams despite the numerous odds stacked against me. I’m so proud of everything I’ve learned and everything I’ve been brave enough to try. I never thought I would feel so confident. But I do.
2. What’s one thing that’s happened to you in your life that made you feel weak?
The snark inside me wants to say Calculus. Calculus made me feel oh, so helpless. But I think the correct answer to this would be my struggle with low self-esteem and social anxiety. It’s terribly frustrating to be in constant battle with your own mind. It’s also kind of sad to realize how little you think of yourself.
3. Where is one place you feel most like yourself?
The beach. The lake. The woods. Nature in general.
4. Where is your favorite place to escape to?
The beach. The lake. The woods. Nature in general. But of course, I also love to escape into my books.
5. Who do you think has had the largest influence on the person you are today?
Everyone who has supported me, especially my parents. They have always encouraged me to follow my dreams. Even when I was little.
6. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?
I have NO sense of direction and it frustrates me to no end. I embody the stereotype that women can’t carry a map in their heads. Thank God for GPS!
7. If you had one day left to live, what would you do first?
Fly to Australia even though I’d spend over half that day in an airplane.
8. What decade do you feel you most belong in?
9. Who are you closest to in your family? Why?
I think it’s probably a tie between my parents and my sister.
10. Who is the one person in this world that knows you best?
11. What is your favorite quality about your best friend?
Oh wow, where to begin? She cracks me up. She’s fiercely intelligent and independent. She believes in magic and adventure. We can talk about anything.
12. When you were younger what did you think you were going to be when you grew up?
A marine mammal trainer.
13. If you could identify with one fictional character (from a book, show, or movie) who would it be?
Probably Cather Avery from Fangirl. Or Ariel.
14. Do you easily accept compliments? Or do you hate compliments?
Oh, I love compliments. But they make me blush. And I always feel like I have to return the favor.
15. Is your favorite attribute about yourself physical or non-physical?
16. What is your favorite physical attribute about yourself?
17. What is your favorite non-physical attribute about yourself?
I think my sense of humor is delightful but I might be the only one.
18. Do you believe in love at first sight?
I’ve seen it, so yes.
19. Do you believe in soul mates?
20. How seriously do you take horoscopes?
Not very. They’re fun, but I certainly wouldn’t place bets on their accuracy.
21. Have you ever been in love? How many times?
22. What makes you fall in love with someone?
If I want to spend time with you and talk to you all the time… That’s pretty awesome.
23. What does vulnerability mean to you? What has the ability to make you vulnerable?
I do not like vulnerability. Vulnerability, to me, is making everything that hurts you more real and giving other people access to it. I don’t like people to know when I feel vulnerable. I don’t like people to know when I’m hurting. When they’re aware of it, I’m aware of it.
24. What’s one thing you’re scared to ask a man, but really want to?
I don’t know. I’m not actually very shy…
25. If you were a man for a day, what would be the first thing you do?
Grow a beard. Then go to the store and dress myself up in sexy clothes.
26. What do you find most attractive about each sex?
Men: Eyes, arms, smile.
Women: Hair, eyes, smile.
27. What’s one thing you’d love to learn more about?
I’m always considering going back to school for my marine biology degree. I also still want to learn to cook.
28. What is something you’ve never done that you’ve always wanted to do?
Oh man, too many things to list. Parasailing is the first thing that comes to mind.
29. Why haven’t you done it yet?
30. If money didn’t matter, what would your dream job be?
I wouldn’t have a job. I’d just travel full time and take pictures. But I’d keep writing books because I can’t not write books.
31. If you had off from work today, what would you do?
Read or write which is basically my job anyway sooo…
32. What was the last thing that made you cry?
I think it was The Shack…
33. What was the last thing that made you laugh?
Stupid Pinterest pictures.
34. What is your favorite memory?
Oh my goodness, I have so many. Probably standing on top of a mountain in Scotland. Or sitting around in the small living space of the Iona hostel, watching the sun set, reading, and singing Breakfast and Tiffany’s.
35. What’s the last thing that REALLY embarrassed you?
God, I embarrass myself on a daily basis. The thing is I’m so used to it that I don’t really get all THAT embarrassed anymore. I really hate it when I forget someone’s name though. Or don’t remember a conversation that I’ve had. That happens a lot more than it probably should.
36. What is your biggest fear?
Losing my family. Sunken ships. Vomit. And that I’ll accidentally hit a pedestrian with my car.
37. Do you have any regrets? What’s your biggest one?
I try really hard not to have regrets because I believe that life works out the way it’s supposed to. Every choice I’ve made (even if it seemed like the wrong choice), has led me to where I am today. I guess I regret that I’ve spent so much time worrying about what other people think of me. Or worrying that I might be missing out on something. Or worrying that I don’t always fit the mold or social norms.
38. Have you ever broken a law? If you haven’t what is one law you’d love to break?
Um… I’m not telling you. If I put it in writing, that means it actually happened. If I COULD break a law though, I’d probably steal a lot of stuff I don’t need.
39. What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
I’m not sure I’ve done a whole lot of crazy stuff. I’m not a very interesting person.
40. Would you have a conversation with a stranger?
I talk to strangers more than I talk to people I actually know.
41. Would you tell a stranger they have toilet paper hanging from their shoe? Or their dress tucked into their underwear? (Or anything else that is embarrassing to be seen in public)?
If I could do so discreetly.
42. What’s your favorite joke?
I like inside jokes. I guess I’m kind of exclusive like that.
43. Are you a dog person or a cat person?
Cat. Cats all the way. Cats forever.
44. If you could be any animal, what animal would you be?
Killer whale. I would be beautiful and at the top of the food chain.
45. What’s one show, movie, or book, you’re embarrassed to admit you enjoy?
I love lots of embarrassing stuff, but I will say it loud and proud. I love Twilight. I love Nicholas Sparks books AND movies. I love One Direction. I love Hannah Montana.
46. How do you think your parents would describe you as a child?
Weird, quiet, and a VERY picky eater.
47. If you could go back to any age or time of your life, what age or time would it be?
I don’t want to go back. I like where I am now. And I’m excited about the future.
48. What’s something you believe in that not everyone else does?
49. What’s one thing you would say that makes you unique from other people?
I don’t drink soda or coffee. LOTS of people think that’s weird.
50. What is one thing you feel your life is missing?
The snark in me wants me to say money, because it’s true. I don’t necessarily feel like my life is MISSING anything. It’s more that I’m not quite there yet. I feel like I’m on the right path. But I’m not where I want to be yet. I may not ever get there. But I’m going to keep trying.